The purpose of this Code for Emory University Club Crew is to outline the responsibilities and expectations of standard of behavior of athletes and coaches.
- Emory Club Crew is committed to standard of fair and safe practices in the sport.
- Emory Club Crew is committed to actively creating an environment free of discrimination and harassment, in which individuals are treated with respect and dignity.
- Emory Club Crew will not tolerate and reinforce any behavior which constitutes abuse. This includes any racist, homophobic or transphobic language. No one should be harassed for their sexual orientation, race, religious background, origin, or disability.
Under any circumstances this occurs, Emory Crew will take disciplinary action against anyone who breaches this Code.
What does Inclusion look like at Emory Club Crew?
At Emory Crew, we strive to implement respectful, dynamic behaviors and actions from students from all backgrounds, ages, and abilities. Rowing is a sport with a long, extensive history of discrimination. From wealth to gender to race. At Emory Crew we bring attention to its racist and sexist history and ensure that it is not being implemented into the present. From the micro level to the macro level, here at Emory Crew we want to make our students feel welcome and respected. We are inclusive to a diverse range of perspectives and cultures. Emory crew upholds a standard devoted to learning, scholarship, and accessibility.
Our aim is for interactions at Crew to positively contribute to students’ academic development, overall college success and their level of cultural awareness and commitment to awareness of racial understanding. This will allow students to appreciate both similarities and differences amongst their peers. We aim to provide a space where team members learn with and from each other.
At Emory Crew we seek to contribute to the welfare of all athletes and members through:
- Creating a wider scope of cultural empowerment with a strong focus on the safety and overall health management of our athletes.
- Being proactive in addressing any form of discrimination or harassment observed to board members of Emory Crew or coaches.
- Aiming to create an inclusive and respectful environment for athletes and coaches who are a part of the team.
- Not condoning any hostile or discriminatory language or actions by Athletes part of Emory Crew while attending or competing at Emory Crew Regattas or team practices.
- Prioritizing the health and safety of all team members at Emory Crew.
Standards for Athletes:
At Emory Crew we hold the standard of making a community that is open to all backgrounds and identifications, with inclusivity and diversity as one of our core values. We want rowing at Emory to be an accessible and inclusive sport that provides opportunities for everyone regardless of skill level.
As an active initiative within the Emory Crew Board, we are committed to increasing the inclusivity and diversity of athletes and coaches. We encourage all genders and students of ethnic minorities to join and remain involved actively in Emory Crew. We encourage sports equity at Emory Crew and promoting the equality of access for all.
We actively recognize inequalities and to address them. This may include re-organizing the culture, central themes, and structure at Crew to support our students and to ensure that it creates equal access to everyone. This includes promoting an environment free of bullying, harassment, victimization, and discrimination.
Emory Crew commits to promoting both inclusivity and diversity in both sportsmanship and fostering academic excellence. When working as a team it is important to remind ourselves that our team at Emory Crew is a composition of a variety of talents and backgrounds. We encourage every student on the team to recognize the individually and uniqueness of others.
Standard for Coaches
The aim of this code is intended to set a standard that coaches set for athletes on the team and for themselves. It creates a set of values in which coaches uphold to respect members of this team and do not condone in unfair practices. Coaches are to be honest and fair of others in which they respect the worth of all taking part in Emory Crew.
Coaches will only use training skills in which they have been trained and qualified to use. They will be aware of cultural and individual differences in which it respects the fundamental rights of the team members. This includes not discriminating against age, gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, language, and socioeconomic status.
When conflicts occur, coaches will attempt to resolve these conflicts in responsible and non-judgmental manner in which it harnesses equity, respect, non-bias, and minimizes harm. Coaches are to be aware of the responsibilities to Emory Crew and the Emory University community and in compass an inclusive environment and foster positive behavior in order to contribute to the growth of athletes on the team. Coaches are to serve as role models for their athletes.